Queen of 117

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 1, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Let's start off by saying that keeping up with my blog is my New Year's resolution! There are so many awesome things happening in my classroom that need documenting! To start, I will fill you in on all the fun activities that occurred right before we left for holiday break. Room 117 was busier than the North Pole!



  During Thanksgiving, we took aside some time for CRAFTS! We made turkey centerpieces for our kitchen tables, and learned all about the turkey animal. We also thought about things we were thankful for and made "Thankfulness Wreaths". Our brainstorming list needed 2 pieces of chart paper because it was SO long. We are truly so fortunate!


In Nov, two of my students also competed in "Girls on the Run". I was excited to become a coach this year. When school started in September, we would meet every Tues and Thurs after school. The curriculum is very empowering to girls, and ends with the completion of their goal: running a 5k. We all met at Millersville University on a chilly Saturday morning. We had EVERY girl cross the finish line. It was a neat experience for me as an adult- I can only imagine how rewarding for the girls! What a wonderful organization. My running buddies loved their necklaces I ordered off of Etsy! I hope they serve as a memory of their amazing accomplishment.



Flash forward to December-- a very busy holiday month! The Clermont teachers looked extra spiffy in our "Ugly Sweaters" and we had a visit from an extra special Christmas elf-- MRS. Olindo (my mom!) She took a variety of holiday stories out from the library to read to us, and helped us with our ornament-- a lightbulb penguin! We also called "Dial A Carol" each day. This is an awesome service provided by the University of Illinois, lets people call and ask for a holiday song to be sung to them by a college student. Our class had fun voting for various songs and hearing them sung each day. 
Check out more info about Dial A Carol here: 
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/12/15/dial-a-carol-student-run-holiday-jingle-service/

Our class wanted to have some fun during our class party. We decorated icing trees and did a candy cane experiment. Mini M+M's work best when decorating the tree, along with red and green sprinkles! We have very generous parents who sent in all the supplies. The kids were so meticulous and careful with their trees, not a single sugar cone broke! The kids also had fun learning about how to create a "hypothesis". We put our candy canes in warm and cold water, vinegar, and soda. We drew pictures of the reactions made, and then documented the outcomes on our recording sheet. 
Recording sheet found on:

If the activities above didn't give me enough holiday cheer, I also had the sweetest students give me so many cards and gifts. I love the wrapping ingenuity in the present below!

The kids also got a kick out of the T-Shirt below, which I found at Walmart. 

I hope this holiday brought everyone lots of joy! I hope the remainder of this school year brings continued growth and happiness for all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment